Monday, November 24, 2014

Ninja Hermanas

I like taking selfies while Hermana O'Hara is taking a picture!


1.  I noticed you have a tan jacket that you have been wearing that I have never seen before.  Did you buy it there or did someone give it to you?  Just curious!

It was a gift from Hermana Avalos. I have gained a lot more clothing here, since everyone "goes to Pigue" to die. When people leave the mission they usually leave a bunch of clothing. So that jacket is one, I have several "new" skirts that have been passed down so much that we don't know who they're from, Hermana Peterson gave me 2 sweaters and 2 scarves since I have one whole winter left to endure. Since I`m killing Hna O`Hara I`ll get a lot more clothing from her, too. I`ll probably leave a bunch here too since I have so much now.  (Note:  In mission lingo the last area that a missionary serves in is where they "die.")

2.  If there are no buses in Pigue, how do you get to Bahia Blanca each week for your district meeting?

They have these huge 2 story buses that people take. It's like taking a charter bus. There aren't any buses within the city to take you from one point of Pigue to another, but there are terminals for buses in cities that these huge buses stop at. We take one of the 2 story buses to Bahia for our meetings.

3.  What would you say is the major form of transportation in Pigue?  I'm wondering if it is different from the "big city."

Taxi or cars. Pigue is big, we take taxis sometimes (although I try with all my might not to). A lot of people don`t walk much here, which is a shame because it's pretty. There are a lot more cars here than in Bahia, and lots of motorcycles and bikes, too, but about the same as the amount in Bahia.

4.  Did you get to witness, or be a part of, any miracles this week?  Whether great or small?

Yeah, so yesterday it started storming BAD. So we went home and decided we would do paperwork until the storm stopped.  So when it stopped we went out again and found one new investigator! Then immediately afterwards we went back inside because it started storming all over again. When it's storming hard we try not to work outside because people don't talk to us and its probably bad for our health. 

5.  Do you think you do more walking in Pigue than you did in Terrada?

Yes. Everyone here measures things in quadras, which is like a city block in the states. Terrada is 16 or 17 quadras tall and wide. Pigue is like 30. 

6.  How long does it take you to get to church each week?  Do you walk there?

It's a 30 minute walk, if we walk fast. It's about 2 miles away. 

7.  Last week you sent a picture of a really big, interesting-looking church.  Where was that?

In Pigue, it's the giant Catholic church here that everyone goes to. Well, a lot of people don't actually go, but there are a good amount of faithful Catholics here. 

8.  What is the official name of your zone?

Zona Bahìa Blanca. It's known for being one of the zones that NOBODY who has been in a different zone before wants to be a part of. There's a lot of pressure here, that's why. 

9.  What do you think the ratio of Latinos to gringos is in your mission?  Is it about half and half?

Half and Half, I think. I feel like there are probably more gringos sometimes, but then again, I have no idea. There are 240 missionaries in our mission, and our mission is HUGE, so I don't know lots of the people. Only the people in my zone. 

10.  What was the best/worst thing you ate?

I`m not sure... Everything was pretty normally Argentine this week. Potatoes, milanesa, mayonesa, hard boiled eggs. It was all good, but nothing really stands out on my mind. What am I going to do when I don't have to eat hard boiled eggs every day or when we eat a meal without mayonesa in the states????

11.   What was something challenging you faced this week?  (It doesn't have to be too personal...)

I dropped two investigators this week. Dropped, as in we aren't passing by for them anymore. One of them was Ladys. We invited her to be baptized and we were very honest and blunt about it, and her response is no every time. It's challenging because she has told us again and again that she knows this stuff is true, but she's Catholic, and refuses to be baptized. That was hard because I care about her a lot. The Sister Training Leaders came this week and I passed by with one of them and it was the same. So we decided that we can't spend any more time with this right now and we stopped passing. We did the same with Valentina, since we don't think she's really ready to change right now. I`m not dropping her for good, but for now we aren't going to pass a lot. It's hard to stop teaching the people that you care about so much. I never expected my heart to hurt for these people, mom. 

On the bright side, 3 of my former investigators in Terrada have been baptized! Sofia, Pablo, and Daniela! whoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.  Did you know that Thanksgiving is this Thursday and that we are all going to miss you SOOOOOO much?  (But we are happy you are serving the Lord!)

Yeah, I know and I`m kinda sad that I won't be feasting on pavo (turkey) with all y'all out there! Please eat a lot for me! Maybe me and my comp will make something special since we have to cook for ourselves on Thursdays.  I miss you all, too!!!!!!

13.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?  (Perhaps you may wonder why I am always asking about funny things.  I know missions are serious, but it is important to have fun whenever you can.  I'm hoping this can help you to remember those little, funny things that happen during a mission.  You know this blog is your mission journal!  Other than what you might be writing on your own.)

I`m glad you always ask because I prepare in advance for this question. Remember how you asked last week and I said it wasn't a very funny week? Well, when I read that question I thought, "Funny? I haven't even had fun this week!"  And it made me realize that I wasn't very happy. So the next day after lunch, before we left the house, I stopped my comp and we had a very long, long talk about our companionship. I told her that I wasn't having fun, and that I wasn't happy, and it turns out she felt the same way. Mom, we talked for 3 hours. We worked out a lot of issues in that talk, too. Now we are doing great, I can say that we`ve had a fun, interesting week and that funny things have happened. We`re working hard now and we are happy. I guess the point of this story is that someitmes you just need to sit down and talk, because it's better to fix the problems in the companionship than go out and try and teach and not get anything done because you`re not working together. 

Anyways, the funny things that happened this week: 

1. Dramatic Latinas clogged the toilet and were in despair, saying that it was all broken. Hopelessly, they left to use the bathroom at the church. Quick thinking gringas unclogged the toilet when they left, but almost got the plunger flushed down the toilet in the process. Nevertheless, the day was saved, thanks to the.... GRINGAS! 

Los Estados Unidos (The United States): 1  Peru: 0 (no offense to Peru, it's just a joke)

That reminds me, Hna Obando got emergency transferred because she has been having some really bad asthma problems, so now we have a new sister here named Hna Vela. She's from Peru. She's cool! 

2. We got locked out of our house with the Sister Training Leaders, Hna Quilca (de Peru) and Hna Montealegre (de Colombia) and we needed to get their stuff so they could catch their bus that would leave in 30 minutes. So, Ninja Hermana Quilca and I broke into our house from the outside by forcing a window open. Then, Ninja Quilca climbed through the window and saved the day by handing us all the stuff through the window. 

Los Estados Undios: 1  Peru: 1 ( I helped with that one, but whatever, I`ll give them the point)

I got my Argentina ID this week, so I`m officially legal!!! Also, we had a big zone conference with President and Hermana Parreño this week. We learned a lot about consecrating ourselves and sharing testimonies. We talked about being better teachers too, so that we can retain our converts better and reactivate more people. I sure hope everyone reading this is helping with the Work of Salvation. 


Alright, that's all I got for now. I hope you all are having a good week! I think about you all the time! I got your Thanksgiving quote in the mail, mom, so thanks! It was fitting! I hope you have a great week and I hope you know that I know that this church is true! I love you all so much and I pray for you all every week!  byyyyyeeeeeeee

Love, Amy


Horses!


One year for Hermana Burgos

This is dulce de batata

From Wikipedia:   (in Spanishsweet potato candy, or: sweet potato jam) a traditional Argentine dessert, which is made of sweet potatoes. It is a sweet jelly, which resembles a marmalade because of its hard texture. When sold commercially, it is often found canned in flat and round metal cans. In some of the commercial versions of the food, chocolate is added to it.
It is commonly eaten with crackers and/or cheese.


On the 2 story bus





No comments:

Post a Comment