Monday, December 15, 2014

Three's a Crowd



1.  Were transfers this week?  And if so, what happened?

Well, transfers were supposed to be this week, but they pushed them back a week since we are having our mission Christmas celebration thing on Thursday. However, I "killed" my companion, and she went home and left me here without a companion, since I didn't receive a new one since we don't have transfers until this Sunday. So now I`m here in a trio with Hermana Burgos and Hermana Vela, but I`m also still a separate unit with my own separate numbers and phone and district leader. Yeah, I`m confused too. I wish I could have my own companion...

(FYI - "Killing" a companion means you are with them at the very end of their mission before they go home)

These questions are from Evan:

2.  Do they have Santa Claus in Argentina?

Yeah, but not like in the States. Its just a merchandise thing, nobody believes in Santa or does anything Santa related, its just a decoration thing.

3.  What type of presents do they typically give each other?

Well, so far the presents I've received are a red belt and some red earrings, and a TON of this stuff called pan dulce, which is kind of like fruitcake but it tastes better. I like it a lot. As for what people give other people, I have no idea. Christmas isn't a really big holiday out here. Its about as big as the 4th of July in the States. 

4.  How big is the Primary there?

There are maybe 9 to 12 kids who come every week, I think

5.  Do they have Christmas trees there?

Really tiny, cheap, plastic ones. But most people don't really have even that, from what I can tell. 

End of Evan's questions.

6.  Last week you sent a picture of a pizza.  What exactly was on that pizza?  Was it mayonnaise and ham?

Some kind of cheese and ham, but I`m just waiting until I eat a mayonesa and ham pizza. Now that I think of it, I`m suprised that they don't put mayonesa on pizza... Pizzas here are weird, they put the ham on first then slices of cheese on top.

7.  What is the best thing that happened this week?

I guess the best thing that happened this week was that I got to just be a missionary. I was scared that my old comp would be trunky and that we wouldn't work a lot the last week, but we worked until the end. It feels good to work and contact, and when I`m not doing my job as a missionary it kinda stresses me out. I`m always worried that I`ll get a comp who doesn't want or will not work because I know that I wouldn't be happy in a situation like that. 

8.  Do you think there will be a Christmas program at church or is that an American thing?

Yes there will be a Christmas program here next week. Also a Christmas party, I think. A party means a Christmas "get together and drink mate". 

9.  Did you have your Christmas devotional with the mission?  If so, what was it like?

Ask that question next week and I'll let you know then since I don't know what our Christmas thing will be like yet. 

10.  Tell us about someone new you met this week.

Someone new? That's tough since I meet new people every day.... I met a returned missionary who is from Arkansas who came to visit. She gave us some references and told us about her time here. It was weird to talk to a former missionary like that in the middle of our almuerzos - haha!

11.  What was the best/worst thing you ate this week?  (did you eat more prunes?)

I have eaten more prunes.  :) 

Ok, it wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was kinda weird. Its called a torre de panqueques, or in English a tower of pancakes. It's kinda like a sandwich. You have a crepe (you know, those super thin pancakes) and you put mayonesa and ham on it, then another crepe on top, then lettuce and tomato, and then another crepe, then mayonesa and ham, crepe, lettuce, etc. until you have a huge tower. Its good and all, but there is wayyy too much mayonesa for me to like it a lot. 



Also, yesterday I had a rice, mayonesa, chicken, and tomato salad. It wasn't bad, but it was... interesting... 

Today for almuerzo Hna Burgos is going to make cow stomach, I think, so we`ll see how that goes. If it's bad I have a ton of pan dulce to eat, so I won't go hungry.

12.  Have you been sweating from the heat this week?

Yeah, I have been, but it's honestly not that bad. I`ve come to the conclusion that all these people are just wimps. All of the missionaries told me that the summers are terrible and that I`m going to die, and I`m waiting for the extreme heat to start and I still haven't experienced it yet. I think I`m just more used to heat than other people are since I`m from the south, so to me it's not that bad. Georgia is more humid, too, so the humidity here isn't bad either. 

13.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

We had an English class this week, and one old lady showed up. So we tried to teach her and she was making all these typical old people comments. Then in the end she asked who is going to teach the next class and I told her I was. Hermana O'Hara explained that she was going to leave and the old lady started asking why. We explained that transfers are decided through revelation from God, and she said, "Revelation? well, I work by REBELation, so I don't care!" It was hilarious. She's a member, but I had never talked to her until this English class. 

Yeah, sorry that this wasn't the best question/answers today. I guess I`m kinda down because I have to wait an extra week to get a new companion and I`m in a trio. I don't find trios to be very fun...

I hope you all have a great week.   Hermana O'Hara is going to send my letters to you all! Today also isn't p-day, even though we still get to write you guys. I have to work after this, so there's no time to sleep or anything, how sad. Anyways, they want us to Skype between the hours of 2 and 5 Argentina time on Christmas. I still don't have a definite plan or place set up to Skype. Can you send me the Skype account names so that I will know who to call? I`m so excited!!!

I love you so much! Please have a greeeeaaaat week and enjoy the holiday spirit! Listen to some Christmas music for me! Bye!

Love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment