Monday, February 23, 2015

Random Potatoes in the Streets



1.  You asked for advice in learning to roll your "r's".  That is something my brothers could always do but I couldn't.  I have had some success with putting my tongue in the correct position, then tilting my head back and trying to relax my tongue as I try to roll the "r".  I can actually do it but I have to tilt my head back and would certainly look like an idiot if I were actually talking to anyone!  Ha ha!

I´m going to try that. I´ve been practicing and praying every day to be able to roll my rr's. I like to practice in the streets, but all of my attempts make a weird machine gun type sound. It's funny because my companion gets all embarrassed that I do it outside of the house. She's always like "Hermana!  Not in front of everyone!"  But don't worry, I only practice in streets that aren't crowded or that are empty. Everyone always talks about how I´m super tense, even my tongue is too tense to be able to roll an rr. 

2.  Can your companion make the "z" buzzing sound?  I had a companion from Mexico who could not make that buzzing sound at all.  Maybe that will make you feel a little bit better?

Yeah she can...

3.  Have you taken any pictures in your new area?  We need pictures, Amy!

Ok, Ok!   I´ll have pictures next week because we are going to have a picnic today and I´ll be taking a ton of pictures. I haven't had a lot of time this transfer, and this area isn't as safe as Pigue so I usually don´t take my camera with me everywhere. Are you saving all the pictures? I hope so because I would be sad to lose them all if something happened. 

4.  Tell me something about your area.

It's really big, and the church has been here for over 50 years. There is a huge potato industry here, hahaha.   Everyone works on the potato farms, and it isn't uncommon to just find random potatoes in the streets here. There are also horses everywhere. Any kind of field here has at least one horse. 

5.  Dad wants to know if there is any sort of clothing style there that you don't see much in America?

MC Hammer pants, what look like clown pants, and people have a ton of things with super bright colors and studs. There isn't a lot of clothing variety here so everything is studdy, shiny, and very 80's. Jumpsuits are also a thing here. 

6.  Who feeds you the most in your area?

The familia Magaz. They feed us once a week, and twice every other week. They are a huge family and I still haven't seen all of them at once yet. I have no idea who are daughters and parents, either, but it's fun to eat with them and get to know them. They have met a lot of missionaries and have a lot of returned missionaries in their family, so they are easy to relate to. 

7.  Do the other Hermanas share an apartment with you, or do they just live nearby in a separate apartment?

We share an apartment, which I like since it's more fun and you can do things like decorate their room when they aren't home on P-days and pull fun harmless pranks!

8. What was the best/worst thing you ate?

Someone gave us beans and rice instead of the typical Argentine food. This was Venezuelan beans and rice, and it was super good. It was a lovely change, even though rice still isn't my favorite. The worst thing...we had some raviolis that weren't bad, but when I ate them I felt kinda sick and didn't want to eat more. I don't know why I didn't like them so much. 

9.  What was your biggest accomplishment this week?

We had 5 people at church!!!!! It was crazy!  We committed a ton of people to come, and then Friday and Saturday night we started organizing everything. We called all the investigators, and then called all the members and told them to greet and sit with our investigators, and then on Sunday 5 of the 8 people we had committed came! Only one of them is an investigator that is progressing (Pedro, he accepted a baptism date!), but two of the others are trying to find their answer to know if this church is true. 

Also, we has a super miracle!!! We found this guy 2 weeks ago named Victor, and we taught him the Restoration super fast and left him the pamphlet. When we stopped by again he told us that he read the pamphlet 4 times and so we gave him a libro de mormon (Book of Mormon) to read. We marked the last 2 paragraphs of the introduction. A week later, or last Friday, we passed and he showed us that he read until 3 Nephi!!!!!! (About 2/3 of the book) With tears in his eyes he told us that he wants to change his life, be baptized, and be with his daughter. He prayed to know if the Book was true and told us that he got an answer. We invited him to be baptized and he accepted!!! The thing was that the day before was a bad day, and in my frustration I prayed and asked to see  a miracle, and then the next day we saw that!

10.  How much of your day do you typically spend walking?

The pioneers are pansies compared to how much we walk - hahaha. It really depends on the day, but I would say that a good 60 to 80 percent depending on our lessons. In Pigue it was like 90 percent walking. 

11.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

So there we were, walking on our way to the house of an investigator, and suddenly we spotted two members talking to a lady. They introduced us and the next thing I know there's a bunch of people talking everywhere and the old lady lets us in her house and the members just leave us there and I´m in the house of an old lady. She made us some mate cocido, and gave us some crackers and showed us all of her photos of her family and we invited her to church and shared a little message with her. It was funny because one minute we were walking and the next, before we could process how, we were in someone's house!

I hope you have a great week! I think about you all the time. I had a nightmare the other night where you, mom, said that you didn't want to be our mom anymore and I woke up all sad and lost, trying to figure out what I would do without my mom in my life. Thanks for the updates and everything, I love reading them! Be safe and have a great week, and know that I love you! Keep up the good work! We've had a great week and I have a much bigger testimony on faith now.

Good luck! Love you!
Amy

A red peach

A wild Argentine in his natural habitat (not the thermos of hot water, but the mate in his hand, and the bag of cookies- taken from my bedroom window)






We "decorated" the room of Hermana's Gomez and Long


No comments:

Post a Comment