Monday, April 13, 2015

I Keep Tripping



1.  How has your week been overall?

Pretty lame. I've come to the conclusion that this next week I need to work harder. I dropped just about all of our investigators and I feel like we wasted a bit too much time with people who really aren't progressing. So I feel bad and I've made a list of things that I can do to improve. This next week is gonna be awesome, we have a lot of big plans!

2.  What was something challenging for you this week?

Talking to people, or, looking for people. This week there weren't really many people in the streets, and we knocked some doors but nobody answered, so we had trouble making ourselves do it. We talked a bit too much about stupid things in the street instead of constantly looking, like we should have been. It was a challenge to overcome the "natural man" inside me that doesn't want to talk to people. We did find lots of investigators when we were focused, but I feel like we could have been a bit more focused...

3.  What impressed you this week in your studies?

That Nephi (in the Book of Mormon) understands everything that Isaiah says. I just finished that part of the Book of Mormon, and I was crazy confused. 

I also studied a lot about how to extend invitations and a lot about love and charity. One of my companions loved a scripture that says "Perfect love casts out all fear," and after studying that a bit I think I understand that a lot more. A perfect love for God will drive away all fear we have of men or of the world. 

Presidente gave us homework last week by asking "How do you speed up the work of salvation in yourself?"  So I studied charity because of that. God loves us and made His plan to save us, and to help other people come unto salvation I have to love them like God loves them. How would you answer that question?

4.  What was the most useful Spanish word or phrase you learned this week?

"Pisar," which means to "to step on," which was great considering that this week I stepped in bird poop and lots of mud and nasty street water... Also "charco" which is "puddle". 

5.  Who helped you the most this week?

All of the members that let us do service for them. One let us clean out her garden, and some others let us wash their dishes. I think as people we all need to serve each other. Also, my companion shined all of my shoes this week, so that was really nice because it saved me a lot of time. 

6.  Tell us about a time when the Spirit touched you this week.

This week we contacted a family and they decided to let us stop by later. So when our appointment came, guess what? We were so excited that God gave us a family to teach that we forgot to write down the address!  ha ha! So we looked for about 15 minutes and we didn't find them, and then we prayed and found the house very shortly afterwards. 

We knocked on the door and nobody answered...so we waited... and then the dad of the family answered the door. He explained that his wife doesn't want us to pass anymore, that she doesn't really like missionaries. He said that she agreed to let us stop by because "of the light that we had." That's when I started feeling the Spirit very strongly. Both me and my companion felt like we needed to give him a Book of Mormon. 

We started talking and he told us about himself and then he asked if we usually work in that area or if we'd visited before. When we said "No," he paused and said, "Well...call me crazy, but I think I saw you two in a dream."  Did he really see us in a dream? Yeah, who knows, but there are a ton of people out here that I've met who were converted because of dreams. So, we left him a Book of Mormon and he promised to read, and we have another appointment tomorrow. The Spirit was very strong in our brief meeting, so I believe that something will come out of this!

7.  What was the best/worst thing you ate?

A lot of people gave us "pollo de horno," which is chicken that is cooked in an oven until it's done. It was sooooooooo goooooddd. And they gave us home made french fries which were super good, too. 

The worst thing? There wasn't really anything bad, but we had a lasagna that wasn't super great (I hope I spelled that right, I had to think of the lobster bisque guy and how he says it to spell it right - ha ha) but it was still good. 

Note:  If you are wondering about the lobster bisque guy, check out these videos from Studio C:

The original Lobster Bisque sketch:

How he says lasagna (around 5:00):

8.  If you do get transferred, how long do you have between when you are notified and when you leave?

They call us Saturday at night, usually around 10, then you spend the whole night packing and leave after church Sunday. Here it looks like we have to catch a bus to leave Balcarce at 2:00,  and church ends at 12:30.  So I always buy extra food to bring with me for lunch in case I have to be transferred. Yeah, there's no time to say goodbye, you just kinda disappear and hope your investigators and converts come to church.

9.  Have you heard of any areas in the mission that sound interesting and that you would like to see?

I think it would be cool to go to Viedma, which is the zone most south in the mission, and Tandil is supposed to be super pretty. One of the Mar del Plata areas would be neat, or maybe Trenque Lauquen. 

10.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

Well, I don't know if it's funny, and I can't really think of anything specific, but I trip maybe 8 times a day, every day of the week. The ground here is never level, so I have an excuse, but my comp and the other hermanas and everyone else knows that I can't seem to walk normally because I keep tripping everywhere. I trip so much that it's not even embarrassing. Well, it's more like stumbling, actually. I've only fallen on the ground once and that was transfers ago - haha.


Thanks for the emails. I'm shocked that Alan wrote me hahaha but hey, that's awesome. I hope the move went well and I hope everything works out with Dad finding a job BEFORE I get home - hee hee. I love you all so much, and I can't believe that we moved back to good ole Georgia. 

Thanks for the letters, and please thank all the people who helped with the move. I kinda teared up when I read that part in the email :) 

Love you so much!!!
Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment