Monday, June 1, 2015

I Had Pickles!

Me and Hna Gomez (and some photo-bombing Elders...)

1.  Did anyone get transferred?

Yes, Hna Gomez got sent to Viedma and her replacement is Hna Palma from Chile. Me and my comp stayed the same, so that is good because we've got lots of things to do. Hna Gomez had been here for 5 transfers, or 7 and a half months - whooooa!

2.  Did you get to shop yet?  Just curious...

Yeah, I bought some shoes today. They're really nice quality. They're boots and are going to last me forever, I think. They were kinda expensive, but they're the only thing I really wanted at this moment. 

3.  What was the best Spanish word you learned this week?

I've been working a lot with the word "ojala" which means "I hope" or "I wish."  Lots and lots of people use it but I've been having some trouble remembering to use it and apply it. 

4.  Is there one particular word you have trouble pronouncing correctly in Spanish?

Yeah, but its normally not just one word that is the problem.  I have trouble pronouncing things when people just tell me the word.  I try to repeat the word. If they spell it I can pronounce it really well, but any time someone teaches me a word without spelling it first - it takes me forever. And the last name of the family which we skyped with is something that I can't ever pronounce... 

5.  Do a lot of people have fireplaces there to help warm their houses?

Not everyone, but yeah, lots of people have fireplaces. There are some roaring fires going on here now. 

6.  How are you washing your clothes now?  Do you have a washing machine or dryer?

We've got a washing machine and a dryer thing that does dry the clothes, but dries them by spinning them around really fast, using the centripetal force to get the water out. 

7.  What was the best thing that happened this week?

The best thing was that we got to go to a special conference this week and hear Presidente and his wife for the last time. He did a question-answer thing and told some good stories. I really felt the Spirit strongly, and I felt a lot of the love that they have for us. 

Me with Presidente and Hermana Parreño

8.  What was the most frustrating thing for you?

I think the most frustrating thing is that I feel guilty sometimes when I'm not perfectly obedient. To the point that it makes me want to give up sometimes. That frustrates me a lot - that I can't be perfect. But lately I've been able to see my gift of obedience more like a gift and less like a curse, hahaha. Me and my comp have had some long, long talks about this one. 

9.  Tell us about someone new you met this week.

I´ll answer that on question 11. 

10.  Did you eat anything new or interesting this week?

I had pickles!!! I haven't eaten a pickle since the States. I'll explain that one in question 11, too. 

11.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

I guess it's not super hilarious, but it caught me so off guard that I want to share it with you. 

This is a long story, but way back in the old days with Hna Antuña, I met someone here who speaks English. I don't know if I told you about it, but we went to a store to buy some fruits and the girl at the counter looked at me and asked what language I spoke.  I told her "English and Spanish" and she just started talking in perfect English. It caught me off guard so bad - ha ha. 

It turns out that she and her family are from Russia, but lived in the USA for 13 years.  Then they moved here and have been here for 3 years. Since that moment I had seen her a couple of times in the street, and sometimes we've stopped to chat.  She asks us lots of questions about what on earth we are doing here. 

Well, yesterday me and my comp had a rough night. All of our plans fell through and I had no idea what to do, so I decided that we should pray. So we prayed and.....nothing. I felt nothing. I looked at my comp and said "What do you think?" and she immediately responded by saying the name of an investigator that we hadn't visited in a while. She said that she felt instantly that we should go there. So we took off and started walking. 

Just as we got to the house that we needed our nice Russian English-speaking friend (her name is Ana) appeared. We ended up talking to her. She was on the way to church, but invited us over to her house later and we made the appointment. 

While we were talking, her mom came over and offered to show us where the house was, so Ana left and her mom showed us the house. As we got there she said "Do you want some food?" 

At first I responded, "No thanks, we are fine," since I was so confused about what was happening, but she said, "Now is a proper time to eat." 

She invited us to come in her house and talk. It was very interesting. We walked into the house and...BAM!  It was just like the USA!  It was weird. 

And then we sat at the table and she gave us a full on meal and explained how they got there and told us about her family and how she has 9 kids and that she doesn't speak Spanish. (She has a Russian accent.) Then she pulled out pickles to give us, and then a huge jar of peanut butter. I was shocked!  Ha ha!

Then suddenly all of her kids started coming home. Only 3 of them still live with her.  Ana was like, "Oh, you're here!!" and I was just like, "Yeah. surprise!"   

We met her other two children. The whole family is very, very wonderful and very spiritual. They believe a lot in learning through the Holy Ghost, which is basically everything we teach - ha ha. I feel very strongly that God has put this family in our pathway. They have lots of questions about our church, and a few weeks ago I had asked for an English Book of Mormon so I had one to give them.  

It's funny though, because I have no idea how to teach in English. It's sooooo hard!

So yeah, that was our strange event of the week. We took a mini-trip to the States and got to share a bit with a very wonderful family.

That's all I've got for now! Mom, I love you so much and I hope you have a wonderful week! I know that God is protecting you guys in ways that we can't even imagine :) Be safe and be strong in the church! 

Love, 
Amy

Zone Conference

The Hermanas!




At the bus station with Hna Gomez

Goodbye!


No comments:

Post a Comment