Monday, June 15, 2015

I've Seen Tons of Shooting Stars!



1.  Dad wants to know if people drive mopeds around there.  He said when he was in Europe lots of people used mopeds.

Yes, there is a high quantity of people who ride scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles here. And dirt bikes and four wheelers sometimes, too. And horse and buggies and then just horses sometimes - haha. But mostly cars and motorcycles. Lots of motorcycles.

2.  Did you have any interesting discussions/lessons this week?

Well, we had a lesson with a family last night. We were walking and were on the way to drop in on someone we've taught before, and on the way there I thought "Is this really the best use of my time?" So I thought about it and the obvious answer would be, "Duh, you're visiting an investigator - this is what you DO."  But then I thought about it and I realized that there was something better we could do.  So I talked to my comp and we changed our plans to look for someone new to teach. We found a new family and taught them a lesson. I thought it was interesting because  the Lord prompts us to use our time wisely and consider our every situation to be able to do the work in the most efficient way possible.

3.  Tell us about someone new you met this week.

I met a lady who is the husband of a contact. She let us right in and listened to us teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was cool because she listened and participated well.  Then we saw her again last night and she told us she has been reading the Book of Mormon. She has two small children that like to have all of her attention all the time, and she is friends with some members. So we'll see how that goes :)

4.  Tell us a little about the new Hermana in your apartment.

Well, we had emergency transfers, so now there are two new Hermanas. I'm still with Hna Baldwin in Balcarce, so don't worry. Their names are Hna Palma and Hna Lupion.  

Hna Palma is from Chile, and she's got 5 months on the mission. She is pretty laid back and likes chocolate :)  

Hna Lupion is from Spain and has 6 months on the mission. A good word to describe her is "sexy," since she says that all the time in every situation. Both of them are really funny and really caring. 

Me and my comp both got food poisoning this week and were sick for bit (I was sick for 12 hrs and my comp 2 days), so they helped us out a lot. Hna Lupion is a convert of a year and a half. So she went on the mission as a recent convert - haha. Hna Palma teaches like a pro!

5.  Did anything wonderful happen at church this week?

I took the sacrament, so yeah, something wonderful happened! That and we had a cool class about spiritual gifts and Patriarchal blessings. 

Lately I've bugged my companions about knowing their spiritual gifts.  They usually respond "Why does it matter what gifts I have?" and I say, "If you don't know your strengths how can you use them?" 

6.  Argentines make lots of asado, meat cooked on grills, in the summer.  Do they ever do the same in the winter?

They eat asado year round, but mostly in the summer. I haven't had any in the winter yet, but I have had lots of it in the summer. Actually, I've had the asado that they cook in ovens in the winter, but nobody has cooked some in the winter on a grill for us yet. Its pretty good stuff :)

7.  Have you ever seen a shooting star in Argentina?

Yes I've seen TONS. It's because we're outside all the time and there are stars at night, so if there is one we can usually see it.

8.  Did you hug anyone this week?  (Strange question, I know...)

Yes, I hugged a less active member.  Her husband died this past week.  I know him and we were working with the family so I had visited them a lot. But she lost her husband and she is totally destroyed. 

I'm scared to lose someone because I've never seen a human being so sad before.  I'm really blessed to have all my family good and healthy.

9.  What was the best thing that happened this week?

We've got a really good investigator named Cristian who we've been teaching. He is preparing for baptism, but the best thing this week was that we had a lesson with some members with him and all the members were completely blown away. They talked about how deep his conversion looks and how much he has changed from when he first started going to the church. I felt so happy to know that we have so much support from
the members with Cristian
.

10.  What sort of food did you have this week?

We had gizo, which is like stew, we had really good tasting chicken, and lots of bread and milanesa. It was all yummy :)

11.  What was the funniest thing that happened this week?

Well, I thought this week I'd share some of the things I do with my English speaking companion. Frequently she doesn't know what people are
saying to her.  


One time she had a cold and a member was explaining to her a homemade remedy to cure her sore throat. She didn't understand anything so I translated. 

It was like this, "She's saying that you need to heat up some milk and mix it with honey, not sugar, just honey, and then drink that, and take some kind of pill and go to bed. Just go with it and nod." So Hna Baldwin made a concentrated face and nodded. 

Then yesterday we were talking to a member's non-member husband and the member told us, "To get him to understand you'll have to get all the apostles over here to explain it. Then he'd have to die and get his brain reorganized and brought back to life before he would understand."  My comp asked me to translate, so I asked what she understood first and she said, "That all the dead apostles are in his brain, or something like that, right?" ha ha ha ha! I laughed and translated for her. I'm pretty good at translating these days.

I hope you have a wonderful week, mom.  I love reading your letters so much, and I always love all the pictures. The cat ones always make me laugh. They're still going with those mocking birds, huh?

Be safe, and remember that I'm using all the stuff that you taught me growing up, and it all works so you are a successful parent! 


Love,
Amy

We were sick this week

My new boots!

Hermana Lupion



       





            

No comments:

Post a Comment