Monday, July 6, 2015

Our 4th of July Celebration...


1.  Saturday was the 4th of July.  Did you think about America at all that day?

Yeah, all the Yankees in the house wore red, white, and blue, and we lit a candle and called it a firework. Then me and Hna Child did an interpretative dance of a firework show. We practiced it a little together and performed it for the other Hnas in the house. It was pretty fun - haha!

2.  Are transfers this week?  I know you just got there but was curious if your transfers are the same as in our mission here in Georgia.

Transfer calls are Saturday night, so we have transfers this week.  Next week is the first week of the new transfer. I'm pretty confident that I'm staying, but I have no idea what is gonna happen with Hna Child.

3.  Evan wants to know if you have seen any penguins.

Nooooooooooope. But I've seen parrots. Yesterday we walked in front of a huge stone wall covered in holes, and all the holes and stuff were filled with huge green, yellow, and blue parrots. It was cool!

(FYI - there ARE penguins in Argentina, but they are found much further to the south.)

4.  Dad wants to know if you have eaten any horsemeat there.

Not yet. I'm waiting to see if I'll get the experience. Lots of other Hnas have told me its gross.

5.  Dad wants to know what are the most common questions you get about our church or beliefs there?  What is the most common belief that others have that is brought up to you, as a missionary?

"Do you believe in the Virgin?" is the number one question and the other is, "But you guys don't believe in God, right?" 

The number one religion here is Catholic. Just about everyone is Catholic. After that its the Evangelicals. 

The most common belief that other people have is that (in their words) "God is one." 

Another common belief is that there are lots of churches, but it doesn't matter which church anyone goes to or what anyone believes because God is for everyone and He is in every Church and every belief.  I know that God does love all of His children and that there are many good Christians in all churches, but for me that belief doesn't make a lot of sense, because God is a being, and He thinks and has opinions. 

In the Bible it talks about God's people. If God had a people it would have to mean that he had a belief and an order that he established. The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ makes so much sense that its crazy, mom. There is a way and God has opinions and expectations for us as His children.

6.  What is the best thing about your new area?

There is a lot of work to do here. The branch is small so there will be lots of reactivating.  There were hardly any investigators when I got here, so there is a lot of finding to do. Me and my companion could start from the base up to get things going. There so many miracles here to work that its awesome!

7.  Do you and Hermana Child share your apartment with any other Hermanas?

Yes, its me and Hna Child, and Hna Hall and Hna Santos. Hna Hall is from Oregon. She is one of the sister training leaders and I think has
almost a year on the mission. She is funny and a bautizadora! 


Hna Santos also got emergency transferred here the week after me. She has got 10 months in the mission and she is from Lima, Peru. She is super funny, too, and very huggable. I love our housemates!  They work in the Villa Mitre 1st ward, which is next to our area.

8.  Have you met your new mission president yet?

 Yes, I have! The Elders called us Thursday afternoon and said, "Hermanas, you need to be in your church at 5:50 tonight, Presidente Cifuentes is going to be there. So, thinking we were gettting an interview, we went there and him and his wife showed up (they´re both taller than me....)
and said, "Alright, Hermanas, let's go! Where are we headed?" 


And I was like, "What are you talking about? Why are you guys here?" It turns out they wanted to work with us - ha ha - so we took them on a tour of la Falda.  We decided to take the opportunity to visit investigators since we would be able to teach them with a member, but nobody was home. 

We knocked on the door of our last hope and no one was there.  Hna Child just looks at me and says, "Can we talk to that family on the other side of the
street?" So, we ran across the street with Presidente and now we are
teaching that family!


He and his wife are reallllly funny. They met on the mission - ha ha,
she is his convert from his mission. 


At one point a contact gave him a kiss on the cheek (in the way Latinos greet each other) and I asked if he is allowed to give women kisses (since we can't do the cheek kiss thing to men) and he says, "Oh, I don't know. Jenny, can I give kisses?" and she says,"NO."  And he looks at me and says, "Nope!"

9.  Are you getting fed much in your new area?

Yes, it is just about the same as Pigue. We eat with the same people every week. There are not a lot of people here so we still have to cook for ourselves every now and then.  Hna Child is a chef, so I'm not allowed to cook, actually. She does it all. One time she let me peel a potato and boil some water...

10.  Are there more places to buy food and other things in your new area, since it is in the big city?

In my area, no. There is Walmart but its like a million years away when you walk there. I also have the shopping mall in my area, but we travel to a different area to write and buy food and everything.

11.  What was your most spiritual moment this week?

Weekly planning is always really spiritual for me. I plan very seriously in those 2 hours that we have to plan our next week. We do lots of praying for inspiration and we are really thoughtful. Hna O'hara taught me to write out our plans in pencil on the day that we were going to do certain things, and that works really well. 

It is cool to see how  we receive inspiration about when we should have
appointments or teach or visit, and then watching as our week goes almost
exactly how we planned.


12.   What was the food like this week?

I had tacos for lunch one day - ha ha. It was pretty dang yummy! I haven't had tacos in over a year - ha ha.  I also had lots of chocolate milk - since its cold everyone gives us warm chocolate milk. Make some chocolate milk at home (with Nesquik), heat it up the in the microwave, and that is what I've been drinking lately.

13.  What was the funniest thing that  happened this week?

There is a member here that makes me laugh. Not in a mean way, but in a comical way. She is old and homeless and got baptized about a year ago or less. She is short and skinny and walks into church with a huge old coat, an old tattered skirt, a huge sock hat, and the biggest, longest, thickest scarf that I've ever seen in my life. 

She comes into the chapel in the middle of sacrament meeting, says "Hey" to everyone, sits down by a heater, and pulls out a bag of candy and proceeds to walk around the meeting handing out candy to all the children. 

Then, after the meeting, she gives candy to every single member. She is an inspiration, really.  She is homeless and she is still sharing her candy with everyone. 

Hna Child told me that she came to church on a broken foot one time. She
said one day her and Hna Chesler ran into her in the street and tried to talk to her and she was just like, "I've already got a church! And its on Haiti 158!" because she didn't recognize them. 


Hna Child says that she comes every single Sunday, and brings all of her
scriptures and the pamphlets that the missionaries gave her. She says
that if the church burnt down then this member would probably still
come anyways and sit in the rubble. She is probably one of my favorite
members because she is so faithful. She has got some mansions in heaven!

We also watched a little kid take the sacrament, put the whole little cup in his mouth, and then pull it out and all the water came out with it and spilled everywhere. I thought of Alan and how it would have made him laugh.

I guess I'll just have to endure you being phoneless because its sad not getting pictures! I'm glad you guys are all safe and having a great time! I'm having trouble because everyone here keeps reminding me that I only have 3 months left. Less than that, actually, and now I'm almost at the end. It stresses me out - ha ha ha!

I miss you every day and I'm looking forward to having a good old long
conversation before you go to bed again! I got some letters from you
and also Christine's letter (I almost fainted.)

Love you!

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment